May 17, 2020

Korima Run Day 2 - Michael Miller - The Red Hawk







Today, the sun is shining. There haven't been a lot of days yet where it really feels like summer, so it's making my heart happy and my feet light. Today is also the very first day of the season when I get to wear my huaraches, the Luna Sandals our Raramuri friends inspired Barefoot Ted to make.

Today, I run with one of the pillars of the ultra-running community, and definitely one of the pillars in my life. This man has been quietly behind a lot of the projects supporting the Raramuri community, and knows the true meaning of being a Mas Loco. He has a heart as big as a mountain.

I spent many days running with him up and down the canyons and deserts of Arizona, and many evenings after that, cooking and enjoying great wines with his love, La Roja Bonita, The Redhead Kimberly. They have been my friends and family for several years now and we have shared so many things together. Adventures and exaltation, drama and sorrow, laughter and pain.

My friend's totem is the mighty Red Hawk, the proud bird that soars high. Every single time I see one, my heart goes straight to his.

Although we're thousands of miles apart, today we ran together and shared the warmth of the sun, the joy of sharing steps in the late spring grass and the reassuring feeling that we are never really separated.

May you stay strong, run long and hug longer. I love you, my Brother Man.




No comments:

Post a Comment