May 18, 2020

Korima Run Day 3 - Patrick Sweeney - Corona!



OK, I'd set out for my Korima Run with another friend in mind, but life seemed adamant on reminding me of another one. See, the day has been glorious here and the warm weather plus some heavy yard work made me pretty thirsty and running... for the fridge.

I grabbed a first beer, a suitably-named Corona, and a couple handfuls of nachos, thinking I'd get right back to work. But first thing I knew, I was two Coronas down and my pickax motivation had reached an all-time low.

"I better get my run in", I thought, knowing full-well that the best of my day was rapidly getting behind me. I found a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and my old beat-up Lunas and, as I was heading out the door, dragging my feet, my Karine asked "Does someone need motivation?". I knew she couldn't come because she slightly injured her left ankle running her first 5k earlier this week. "I'll just take my bicycle", she said, with that lovely smile. I was super happy.

A couple hundred yards in the run, my slouching belly full of beer started to bloat to maximum discomfort, and I was reminded of my always painful, but always fun, beer miles. So naturally, I started thinking of Sweeney :)

I love Patrick Sweeney because he chose fun and the enjoyment of life over material possessions. I love that he always wants to play something, to plan some shenanigans or to go out and do something fun. He is a wonderful chef, too, and a great friend.

Sweeney pretty much invented the beer mile, which consists of chugging a beer, running a quarter mile, then repeating that 3 other times to attain maximum stupidity. But he also invented the Leadville Rock Golf Invitational (I hope I got the name right) which consists of throwing rocks at various distances with an unclear purpose and following whimsical challenges along the way. And hundreds of other colorfully-named games like Shower Shots or Find The Chicken.

So as I was slushing around today, trying to look like a runner, I just did what Sweeney does and enjoyed the moment. And I almost heard him tell me "Corona? That's not beer! It's a yellow fizzy drink." And I smiled and I thought of my friend, who's always somewhere doing something fun. Run free, amigo, and see you soon!!



No comments:

Post a Comment