(Friday, March 30, 9:30 am) - Things have been going very fast since the first reports of Micah True having gone missing in the Gila National Forest of New Mexico.
As a Mas Loco and personal friend, I have received information updates about the situation, some of which I will try to share here to keep worried readers informed. Please understand that Micah values his privacy. I humbly request that people leave the available channels open for important communications; this is why I'm creating this space here, so everyone can stay informed.
Tuesday morning, Micah left the Wilderness Lodge for a solo trail run in the Gila. Several hours later, seeing that he wasn't back, the Lodge owners placed a call for a search and rescue operation.
Several teams are now in place to conduct the operation, including groups of Mas Loco runners who have joined in the effort. At least one helicopter and two aircraft are screening the area, and more help is on its way.
Micah is an excellent ultra runner and tour guide with extensive wilderness experience. He knows what to do in case of a problem, which makes us all hope he will be found quickly and unharmed.
Any news so far?
We have received some recent updates about the ongoing operation :
- A professional Search and Rescue canine team from the US Border Patrol has joined the operation. With Micah's trail hopefully still fresh, they should prove a great help.
- The center of S&R operations has welcomed the help of experienced, autonomous ultra runners and outdoor experts in the area. They requested that the teams who showed up be completely autonomous with shelter, food and equipment and are coordinating communications via radio.
- After an initial search using Micah's dog and various informations and tips, the S&R team was able to eliminate a couple trails from the search. The challenge now is to find reliable leads, quickly.
- Micah's agent, as well as his loved ones, have expressed great thanks for all the prayers and support coming from fans and friends from all over the world.
What can be done to help?
- Please refrain from clogging the communication channels to ease the flow of information. Also, please respect Micah's, his family's and his loved one's privacy in these difficult hours. We will try to keep you informed as much as possible.
- If you are in the Gila area and willing to join the S&R effort, the operation center requests that only experienced teams of outdoors people with knowledge of the area, complete gear and capacity to remain autonomous for extended periods contact them. Their headquarters is at the Gila Wilderness Lodge. There is no telephone or internet access.
- If you can spare a minute of your time for a prayer, a positive thought or for visualizing his safe return, please do it. Our friend needs all the support he can get right now.